Wednesday, September 24, 2008

How Did I Get Here?

In June of 2006, I had just turned 22 years old and had moved from Wilmington, Delaware to Columbus, Ohio. I had lived in Delaware my whole life and was looking for a change. I had spent a little time in college and worked various odd jobs, but I was still trying to find my "passion." After spending a little time in Columbus, I decided that would be my next home. I really liked the art and music scene in Columbus, plus the cost of living was much cheaper than that of the east coast. I really thought that Columbus would be a good "jumping-off point." I thought I would live there for a little while, figure things out, then move to a big city like New York or Los Angeles.....
Well, it's September of 2008 and I am married, have a three month old daughter and I live in the suburbs.
Yeah, things don't always go exactly as planned. But that's okay, because I finally found something that I'm good at. Not just good, but really great!
There have always been things in my life that I've been either mediocre at or pretty good at... But I am actually fantastic at being a mom! I've only been doing it a couple months, but I'm catching on quick and I really like doing it. I've definitely made my fair share of mistakes (trying to change the baby's diaper on the bed in the hospital.... the nurses were not happy) but the kid is still in one piece and we're all pretty happy.
Now I'm trying to figure out how to be a mom, how to be a wife and still how to be myself. My habits have definitely changed. Before I became pregnant, I was a smoker, I liked going out to bars and clubs, I spent money as quickly as I made it, and the closest I came to cooking was pouring milk into my cereal. Now things are totally different. I don't smoke or drink (but I'm definitely pouring myself a glass of wine when I get this kid weaned). My husband is the only one bringing in a paycheck right now, so I'm doing all I can to save money. Also, I cook and bake now, which I actually love doing!
But being a mom doesn't mean you have to start wearing high-waisted, pleated jeans or Christmas sweaters (unless you like wearing those things. In that case, keep it real.) I've found that even with a new set of responsibilities, I'm still the same person I was before. I still have the same interests I had and I'm getting into a whole bunch of new creative things.
Everyday I'm learning something new. Some days are good and some days are bad, but every day is different.

No comments: